Friday, October 24, 2014

Part one: new color

_MG_6037I











































I was inspired by some of the ladies at Refashion Co-op to dye some of my clothes. 
I started out with some thrift store finds: a grey ruffle shirt and brown/cream skirt that I almost never wore._MG_6026_MG_6013



After reading the instructions at the RIT dye studio , I let my machine do all the work.  When I pulled them out, it felt like opening up a present on Christmas day….what was I going to get from this little experiment?

I was thrilled to see that the ruffle shirt and ruffle skirt were a perfect match!  Hello new outfit!



I wore it to work and got loads of compliments. 

However, I’m considering sewing them together to make a dress.  The skirt is too big for me, so it moves around a bit and the shirt has three small holes under the ruffles that would disappear if I attach the two together.  The top is tee shirt material, but the skirt is lined cotton with a side zipper. 

I could eliminate the zipper when I resize it, but I’m wondering if I’ll be able to get the dress over my head and hips if I attach them, since the cotton doesn’t have much give. 

Any thoughts before I get going on part two of this refashion?   I attach shirts to skirts all the time for my little girls, but have never tried this for my own clothing.

Thanks for any thoughts you might share!
Amy Jo at The Little Moments

5 comments:

SewSweetVIntage said...

Pretty!! I <3 the gray. I have a sweater i want to dye gray. What color did you use??

Saga said...

I have combined like that, and kept part of the zipper to allow me to put the dress in.

Amy Jo said...

I used a combo of navy and denim dye, since I was dying quite a few items at the same. Everythihng turned out slightly different colors, depending on the original color and fabric. It was really fun and easy!

Unknown said...

Looks great! It's like it was meant to be.

- Elizabeth, EOD
aka The Hungry Octopus

Jae said...

To determine if you can get into the dress without zipper use safety pins to attach both pieces. Then try it on.