DID YOU KNOW? If you have two refashions ready, you could post one refashion now and could schedule the second refashion at a later time. When you start a new post, simply click on SCHEDULE -- located on the right under POST SETTINGS. A calendar should appear, and all you need to do is pick a date and time for your post to appear on the blog. Scheduling a future post is great for those times when you know you'll be away from your computer yet need to complete your monthly post as per the Posting Guidelines. If you have any questions, please email the editors at refashioncoop@gmail.com.

Sunday, 5 January 2014

First 2014 Refashion-A Copycat

I hope you enjoyed your holiday season, and have started this new year with a fresh and positive perspective. Attitude can be the key to more: more happiness, more experiences, more successes and failures, more pure enjoyment of life! Now, I'm not normally such a chipper, positive person. Far from it, some days, but I like to take advantage of each new beginning (whether its a new year, another birthday, etc) to get myself straightened out a bit ;)

Enough of the pep talk, and down to business. I burned myself out a bit doing an "all homemade and thrifted" Christmas for my family. Don't get me wrong, I loved doing it and I'm glad that I did. Lack of funds truly helped breed creativity! But, once I'd finished everything up, I didn't want to have anything to do with my sewing machine or notions. So, I took a couple of weeks off. As I was browsing through my "refashion ideas" board on Pinterest, I came across a copycat that I wanted to make of the Beckett Button-down from Anthropologie. I had the perfect navy blue thrifted top sitting in my stash, so I figured, what the heck. Let's see if I've got my mojo back...

I started with this thrifted polyester number in navy blue:


I chopped off the sleeves and rehemmed them, reusing the cuffs to become the sleeve/shoulder button thingy...any help on what that's called? I'll look it up ;) I also reshaped the hem and at the last minute took in the sides a bit.

Here's the final piece:


I love how it came out, and this is how I would style it on a warm spring day with flats or sandals. It'd go great with a striped maxi skirt, or even a pair of cutoffs once summer rolls around. And because I cut off my head in all of the above shots, I'll share my tired looking self as I finished this up this morning :)


If you'd like to check out the step by step, I've just posted it here on my brand new blog!
Have an awesome day!
Peace,
Andrea



8 comments:

Carissa said...

I love it! I, too, am at a loss as to what to call those sleeve strap things. I vote we make up our own name? How do you feel about "Dave"?

Carissa
-EOD

Elizabeth Hill said...

I think Dave is looking pretty good here. ;) Happy blogging! I can't wait to see what you'll do next.

- Elizabeth
aka The Hungry Octopus

Andrea said...

Hahaha, Dave works for me ;) I'm sure most people refer to them as you did, Carissa, sleeve straps...I just feel they probably have a "correct" name. Still haven't looked that up...
Andrea

Erica Moody said...

Woah. That is such a good idea for shoulders! Not sure if that sentence made sense, but I really like that thing you did on the shoulders of the blouse.

Andrea said...

Totally makes sense, Erica, and thanks!!! I am looking to do it again using a longer length sleeve on a silk blouse I thrifted ages ago :)

Jennifer Elliott said...

I love the hi-low hem of the blouse. Very cute.

Mezzy M said...

Beautiful and elegant. Well done.

Andrea said...

Thanks Mezzy and Jennifer! :)