I have had this navy shift dress for many years, and have worn it a lot. It was not expensive, but I love the crushed silk effect and the colour. Somewhere in it's life I lined it to make it hang really well. Of course, like a lot of my clothes, it has shrunk over the years, (well, that's my excuse!) and was stuffed in a cupboard, waiting for a restyle. I decided that all it needed was some sort of contrast fabric inserting down the sides.
I spent a lot of time thinking about what to use, then thought lace might be suitable. Getting the right lace was another problem, but in the end I found some wide slightly stretchy stuff.
I unpicked the side seams from armhole to hem, leaving the lining intact, as I had left some fullness at the sides. Cut a strip of lace to the required thickness and machined it in. Reattached the lining.
Getting these photos right is driving me mad, but here you can see before, after, and a close up of the lace section.
After the success of this dress, I have another waiting to be done with more lace.