Thursday, June 16, 2011

It's a fine, fine line

between alterations and refashions. Discuss. (Musical geek note: just scored tix to Book of Mormon for our fall trip to NYC, hence that title!). A too-short-to-tuck-in T-shirt gets the hem let down




and simple lettuce edging added for that wee extra bit length (not so bulky as to be un-tuck-in-able),




then a slightly-too-roomy-in-the-bust tank




is treated to a series of pin tucks that make it fit better through the chest. Perhaps in my neeeext life I will have cleavage appropriate to my height and weight.





Maybe we are talking a ‘space’ between the two rather than a line. Shall we call this middle category a ‘creative alteration’? My current project isn’t really a refashion suitable to post here so these two fence-straddling items will need to do today. The fish hip-bag in progress IS destined to be a ‘wearable accessory’ since it is a bag designed to be worn (vs. carried) but I think the editors mean things like head and foot wear, scarves and belts from old or thrifted clothes when they say wearable accessories. I could be wrong. I often am.




Almost forgot – the black and white check 80’s power blouse? It is going to be lining for a black wool vest/waistcoat I cut out of an old coat – along with a new shorter coat -- a while back. scraps will go the Rug Canvas Fabric bag for future use. TY for the input!!!




4 comments:

Darci said...

Totally digging that red top! I've done furrows (looong tucks) in sweaters before with interesting results. Love that!

JEALOUS of your "BOM" tix. I'll be heading that direction next fall and that's top on my list for shows to see.

Hope somebody made you a mix tape with better songs on it than, "She's Got a Way" and "Yesterday". :)

CarmencitaB said...

What a great t refashion!

Sandy said...

love the pintucks on the red top. That has really changed it!
Sandy in the UK

Sue Atkins said...

Well, I have no idea what the editors require, but I like your take on the DIY aspect of refashion. Who knows what was wrong with something you pick up in a thrift shop. You just might fix up the problem thinking you're refashioning when you're really just altering it for your body or your wardrobe. Personally, I LOVE ideas like yours that allow me to keep a clothing item that got too big during the last foray into dieting. Sad to say, I also then have the other refashioning problem or what to do when something gets too small. But I hate it when a new item shrinks, usually shorter to where a top sits above my waistline. I guess that's ok if you're a teenager. Haven't been one of them in fifty years.

So keep being creative. We'll decide how to creatively put your ideas to great use!!